Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cure for Down Syndrome?

Christy S. posted an article she wrote on the Changing Minds Foundation protocol to a few DS listservs.

I thought I'd share her article here.

While I don't agree with all of it (just in using the full CMF protocol), I think the general idea is great. And definitely has potential, as I've said before.

People do need to realize that medical research has come a LONG way since Down syndrome was first "discovered." And we should take advantage of the knowledge we do know, if there is a good way to counteract some of these issues. And there are many safe ways to do this with supplements, interventions and therapies and there are many more "in the works."

Personally, I don't like using the term "cure", even though "remedy" is one of the definitions of "cure." Most people associate "cure" with getting rid of Down syndrome. That ain't gonna happen, no matter how many therapies, drugs, supplements, or interventions that you do. You are not going to take away that 3rd chromosome. I know Christy, who wrote the article, realizes this. But, many people, from what I have seen, do not.

When "cure" is mentioned on many online DS forums, it turns into a huge debate, because people say, "I don't want to change my child." I agree, I don't want to change Osiyyah either, in terms of taking away the 3rd chromosome. But, do I want to HELP him? Lessen the bad effects of the extra chromosome? Of course we do! That is completely why we give him Nutrivene-D, Ginkgo Biloba, Longvida Curcumin, DHA, etc. To help minimize and reduce the damage some of those pesky over-expressed genes & proteins cause.

Will giving Nutrivene-D, Ginkgo Biloba, Longvida Curcumin, etc, change Osiyyah for who he is? Absolutely not. It will only help him to be able to function better, achieve more and be a healthy, stronger little boy.

I'll step off my soapbox now :)!


Photobucket

3 comments:

Tina said...

I have been a fan of your blog for a while and must thank you for being so informative and in turn helpful to us parents. I just received your book today all the way here in India and can't wait to get started. We are already giving my daughter Nutrivene but there is so much more I need and want to know about Gingko Biloba, Logvida Curcumin etc. perhaps I will contact you on your email. It's been a real struggle here with so little information and no availability of products etc. but I will go to the ends of the earth to do whatever I have to for Saira. Thanks again for your blog.

Qadoshyah said...

You're welcome! I'm so glad you were able to get the book and I hope it helps a lot!

Feel free to send me an email and I'd be glad to answer any questions or provide anymore info :).

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your blog so much. I recently purchased you book from amazon and can't wait for it to arrive all the way here in Australia. I have been doing ND, supplements with my daughter who has just turned 2, for almost 6 months. She had a few medical issues to overcome, and cease certain medication before I could safely and confidently administer the supplements. I am the same oppinion as you with regard to "cure DS" Although I'll never be ablr to remove the extra chromosome, I can do my best to reduce the effects of the overexpression. It bewilders me as to why so many people are happy with their child being so deficient due to the overexpression.

Related Posts with Thumbnails